My naturopathic doctor suggested I get tested for heavy metals due to the many symptoms I was having. She said toxic buildup may be causing your symptoms.
I have always been healthy-minded, watch what I eat, exercise, and experiment with new superfoods. Just ask my brother, who politely turns down anything I pour out of a blender, especially if it is green.
Even though my paternal grandmother lived to 99.5 and my maternal grandma is currently 101, I want to have quality of life, not necessarily quantity of life. Especially if I am facing discomfort or disease. But when I started having strange symptoms it cast doubt on how healthy I really was.
Visit With Naturopathic Doctor
In 2014, I made an appointment with Young Naturopathic Center for Wellness in Los Gatos, California. I was having unusual symptoms and thought Dr. Renee Young might shed some light on what was happening to my body.
Dr. Young ran many tests (urine, blood, feces) and was alarmed when my mercury levels were double the normal level. The report, from Doctors Data Specialty Lab, also concluded the amount of lead in my body was three times higher than the average person. Could this be the reason for the onslaught of symptoms I was having?
Result of Toxic Metals Test
Would reducing these high toxic levels decrease my symptoms? I have been on a quest ever since to reduce them and prevent more toxins from entering my body.
I am sharing a list of symptoms that suddenly came upon me in a one to two-year span when I turned 50 and my journey to reduce and eliminate them.
- Shingles creeping across my chest – took a heavy dose of antibiotics
- Diminished eyesight in one eye – cataract surgery was performed
- Cancerous spot on my nose – Treated with cancer cream & hydrogen
- Calcification spot developed on my toe – removed via surgery
- Donated blood and passed out – ambulance transported me to hospital
- Four polyps discovered during colonoscopy – removed
- Irregular mammogram – breast tissue removed & marker installed
- Nerve damage in arm and neck – anterior neck surgery performed
- Fatigue, brain fog, difficulty with memory and concentration
Dr. Young’s Recommendations
Dr. Young recommended monthly B12 shots, which gave me immediate energy and boosted my immune system. I was not anemic, just low on red blood cells.
Through testing, it was discovered I was deficient in Chromium, the forgotten mineral. I started using Chromium powder in my smoothies.
Besides the normal recommendations of “eat more fruits and vegetables” and “increase your exercise”, Dr. Young recommended eating no more than 100 carbs a day. I had never monitored my carbs. She also recommended a daily probiotic for improved gut health.
After a year of following Dr. Young’s recommendations, I finally felt better. A follow-up heavy metals test showed a slight reduction in metals but not as much as I hoped. Metals accumulate in your body over your lifetime and take just as long to remove them. This would be a lifelong challenge.
How I Reduced My Toxic Buildup
- Stopped eating albacore tuna – very high in mercury
- Had 7 amalgam fillings removed from 7 teeth – leaks mercury
- Took organic chlorella tablets (Amazon) daily – binds and removes heavy metals
- Ate lots of fresh cilantro daily – binds and removes heavy metals
- Drank detox teas – dandelion, milk thistle, ginger (Amazon) and green tea
- Took probiotic tablet (Amazon) daily – stabilizes gut health
- Took magnesium, calcium and zinc supplements daily
- Detoxed in an infrared sauna (Amazon) toxins removed through perspiration
- Picked up my yoga, hiking and biking routine
- Moved to the mountains and away from the city toxins
- Stopped taking antibiotics and steroids
- Juiced daily with vegetables and superfoods
- Reduced carb-related foods – bread, pasta, dairy, sugar
- Got regular massages – stimulates lymphatic drainage
- Drank lemon water with cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar
- Ate more cruciferous foods – broccoli, sauerkraut, brussel sprouts
- Tossed any ceramic dishware with chips – lead can leach into food
- Bought organic food and body products – EWG is a good reference
I still continue these steps today and haven’t been to a doctor in years!
Conclusion – No More Toxic Buildup
It is important to detox with the guidance of a doctor or other professional who can monitor you along the way. When you detox, toxins are most often released through your skin, urine, and feces. However, they can also float around in your body, which is why it is important to capture and bind them for release. I am not a doctor and am only sharing this from my own experience.
Is toxic buildup causing your symptoms? To reach your optimal potential for energy, vitality, and longevity you must make a lifelong commitment to detoxing. I wish you well on your detox journey.
Check out our blog post How to Cleanse Your Body with Autophagy