It never fails, as soon as the days become shorter and the air a little crisper, our skin starts to cry out for moisture. Indoor air, cold weather, and harsh winds all conspire to suck the moisture out of our skin during the winter months, leaving your skin dry, cracked, and scaly. Here are 7 ways to keep your skin hydrated this winter.
Your skin is your largest organ and should be a top priority in your daily moisturizing routine. When selecting products, use your dollars to buy organic products that support organic and non-GMO companies.
If the cold weather has sucked the moisture out of your skin, follow these simple daily steps for healthy-looking, hydrated skin.
My all-time favorite lip balm is by Hurraw! These premium organic and vegan balms are made with raw ingredients and don’t have that petroleum taste like other popular chapsticks. Tons of flavors to choose from. Made here in Whitefish, Montana.
The harsh winter winds can be super drying to your skin, especially if you partake in an outdoor sport like downhill skiing as I do. Start by applying IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Facial Cleanser. This creamy, hydrating cleanser gently removes the day’s dirt, oil, and impurities while quenching skin with essential vitamins and antioxidants. It infuses the skin with a trio of vitamins A, C, and E to boost radiance as it cleanses.
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Repair Creme to your face, which is paraben-free. This rich, rejuvenating crème quenches skin and forms a healthy barrier on the skin, while hyaluronic and fatty acids help to preserve moisture. Essential daily vitamins A, C, and E provide ultra-nourishment and rescue dull, dry skin while soothing redness, sensitivity, and irritation.
To keep your hands and cuticles looking their best, rub on a bit of Canna Beez Herbal Hand Salve. This salve is made with organic hemp seed oil and beeswax and is intensely moisturizing, without being greasy. The owner, who I met at the local farmer’s market in Columbia Falls, Montana, said she created this product and started the Canna Beez company because her hands were extremely dry and cracked from her job. I love the earthy fragrance. Wonderful for cracked heels and feet.
A Parrafin Wax Machine for Hands and Feet is the ultimate at-home spa experience. At 12″ long, it allows plenty of room to dip hands, feet, or elbows. I highly recommend using the Therabath Paraffin Wax Refill in a lavender scent. This is so soothing to tired and rough feet.
This is a bit hit among men too, as they can dip in the comfort of their own home. I usually wrap my hands and feet in a plastic bag after dipping in the wax to hold the moisture in. This also makes cleanup easy as you use the bag to pull the wax off and then throw it away. Use weekly, or as often as needed.
My hairstylist recommended Thermafuse Heartsmart Serum years ago and I absolutely love this product! Apply to clean, dry hair after styling. It contains certified organic oils with a proprietary blend of Argan, Flaxseed, and Acai oils, but is not completely organic. The instant absorption and hydration produce a soft, frizz-free shine with a satiny smooth finish. The 3 oz bottle lasts a long time.
6. Body – Keep Your Skin Hydrated
To keep your entire body smooth and moisturized, consider these techniques:
- Dry brush your entire body in an upward motion before bathing to sluff off dead skin
- Take luke-warm showers as hot water is very drying to the skin
- After bathing, and while still moist, apply shea butter or coconut, Argan or jojoba oils
- Get a body polish or salt scrub treatment at a local spa to exfoliate dead skin cells
- Exercise to maintain healthy circulation and blood flow throughout your body
7. Keep Your Insides Hydrated
- Warm water with juice from 1/2 a lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper first thing in the morning is super hydrating
- Drink 6-8 glasses of clean, purified water throughout the day
- Increase your intake of moisture-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables
- Consume more omega-3 fatty acids such as fatty fish, avocado, flaxseed, and nuts
- Get 15-20 minutes of sunshine every day or take a Vitamin D3 supplement daily. Vitamin D3 helps destroy free radicals that prevent premature aging.
With naturally hydrated skin, you’ll need fewer products, use them less often and save money on products you don’t need.
You may like our blog post How to Cleanse Your Body with Autophagy
Disclosure: If you purchase items on this website through an affiliate link, I may earn a small percentage, at no extra cost to you. This helps keep my site running – so thanks in advance for your support!