Learn how to make a healthy smoothie that will give you energy for hours. This easy smoothie recipe is full of antioxidants from fruits, greens, and nuts to keep you looking and feeling your best.
Benefits of Antioxidants
Antioxidants are substances found in plants that soak up free radicals in your cells and minimize free radical damage. If your body has plenty of antioxidants available, it can minimize the damage caused by free radicals.
Free radicals are a byproduct of normal cell function. They bond to other molecules in the body, causing proteins and other essential molecules to not function as they should. Eating more foods that contain antioxidants is good for your health!
Evidence shows that we can only get the full antioxidant benefits from eating real plants and other foods. That’s a good reason to eat plenty of berries, nuts, greens, and, yes, dark chocolate!
How To Make a Healthy Smoothie
I highly recommend choosing organic ingredients to reduce your exposure to pesticides and insecticides. Yield: 2 servings.
- 1 cup of organic spinach
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 4 strawberries
- 2 pitted dates
- 10 whole almonds
- serving of Greek yogurt (your choice of flavor)
- heaping tsp whole hemp seeds (best to grind them at home)
- 1 tsp raw organic maca powder
- 3/14 to 1 cup almond milk
- 4 ice cubes made with Yerba Mate Tea Powder (make ahead of time by placing yerba mate tea in an ice cube tray and freeze)
- Place all ingredients in your blender or Vitamix Blender
- Blend at the highest speed until blended thoroughly
- Pour into your favorite glass container
- Drink with a bio-degradable straw and enjoy!
- Check out my blog post Say Goodbye to Petroleum Straws
About Maca Powder
Maca powder comes from a root in Peru. It is highly recognized for its ability to increase energy and reduce stress and provides important minerals. These minerals include calcium, iron, and magnesium which help with mineral deficiency. For additional uses, enjoy it sprinkled on your oatmeal or yogurt.
What is Yerba Mate?
Made from dried leaves and twigs of an evergreen holly, Yerba Mate has the strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate, all in one beverage. This popular South American drink can be enjoyed cold or hot.
Try A Different Smoothie Recipe
If you like berry-rich smoothies, try this smoothie recipe that contains antioxidant-rich blueberries and Goji berries Supercharge Your Health with the Superfood Smoothie.